Track 11: Soulmates
Welcome to episode eleven of the Mixtape Book Club Podcast!
Do you love Supernatural? Are you a fan of Dean and Castiel, and their relationship? Do you enjoy reading Destiel fanfiction? This is the podcast for you!
In this episode, Ellen and Mal welcome author Desirae to discuss fics where Dean and Castiel are soulmates. The fics discussed include Below Deck by Desirae, Don’t Look Back by goldenraeofsun, Stripes and Stitches by tiamatv and Syncopation by K_K_TiBal.
You can find our Mixtape Book Club Ao3 collection here, containing the stories we’ve discussed on the podcast so far.
A small apology here: we’ve been using Discord voice chats to record, and the sound quality isn’t always the best – there’s a bit of noise here and there in this track. We’re working on ways to reduce that – please bear with us.
A warning: Adult themes and swear words are mentioned in this podcast.
Our guest – Desirae
Desirae writes a range of canon and AU fics. Find all of her fics on ao3.
Other fics mentioned by Desirae:
Below Deck by Desirae
Published 2020, 12k words, E
Castiel Novak felt like he’d been waiting forever for Dean Winchester to enter his life, and now that he was here, Castiel had no intention of letting him go.
They were soulmates, after all.
Dean Winchester, perpetually unlucky in love, moved to Angel Bluff to be closer to his brother and start fresh. Could the blunt, blue-eyed stunner who claimed to be his other half, convince Dean to take a chance on forever?
Don’t Look Back by goldenraeofsun
Published 2019, 36k words, E
While Mary was alive, she would tell Dean that soulmates were chosen by angels. When the right time came, he would hear his soulmate’s voice in his head, and he would know, wherever they were, they were singing just for him.
But Dean never heard a damn thing. Not at 12, when most people heard their first soul song. Not at 15, when Sammy heard his. Not at 17, when only two-percent of the population heard their first.
And definitely not at 28, when Sam leaves to be with the love of his life, and Castiel, deaf professor of rock music history at KU, moves in.
Stripes and Stitches by tiamatv
Published 2020, 16k words, T
Castiel bared the unmarked skin of his left forearm, shoving his sleeve down to the elbow. “There. Does that answer your question?” he asked, irritably turning his hand from front to back and wiggling his fingers. “No, I do not have a soulbond, and no, this is not an Offering. Why is that where everyone’s mind goes? I just like to knit.”
Syncopation by K_K_TiBal
Published 2018, 15k words, T
Dean Winchester is almost fine with not knowing who his soulmate is. He’s got a good life, good family, and doesn’t mind the one night stands with others who also haven’t found someone with their same soulmark. It isn’t until Sam shows Dean a picture of the pop-star Castiel – a celebrity infamous for hiding his soulmark among hundreds of other tattoos – that Dean thinks he may have found his soulmate. But how is he supposed to let a worldwide phenomenon know that they belong together – and will Castiel even care?
- Love Destiel? Join the community of readers and writers at the Profound Bond Discord server. We have a Mixtape Book Club channel there!
- Our RedBubble shop is here. Any profits will go directly to Random Acts. (We just wanted our logo on a mug!)
Other Soulmate recommendations:
- Artfully Crafted Words of Poetry by starsinursa (2441, T) – The touching first words that Castiel’s soulmate will ever speak to him are: Motherfucking son of a goddamn whore.
- Not The Fire But the Spark by goldenraeofsun (30,320, E) – Tattoo artist Dean is asked to cover up Cas’ soulmark.
- Little Blue Dragon by saltnhalo (23,820, E) – Fantasy AU where blacksmith Dean makes a little dragon from wire and gems, and it catches the eye of (creature) Castiel.
- The Soul Piece by cloudyjenn (132,159 but unfinished, M) – When a human child is born, their soul is shattered into bright gleaming pieces that scatter to the winds. Angel Cas falls for Dean.
- Pie, For Some Reason by Dangerousnotbroken (2493, G) – Castiel is craving the food that his soulmate is craving – pie.
- Broadway Musical by Griftings (12,453, M) – Dean Winchester and Jo Harvelle are destined to get married, Castiel is given the task of playing matchmaker and fails terribly.
- Stupid Cupid by Caswingsuniverse (31,119, M) – Divorcee Dean requests a Cupid to help him find a soulmate, and Castiel shows up.
- Lock and Key by tricia_16 (144,500, E) – Bookstore owner Castiel can hear songs in his head that his soulmate is singing – rockstar Dean.
- A Comet’s Mark by myangelshunter (102,643, E) – Soulmate marks in a canon-ish AU with demon possession and human Cas.
- listen to the song in my soul (only you can hear) by sobsicles (16,394, T) – A canon soulmate AU involving everyones favorite mixtape.
- Meet Cute by GatesKeeper (10,740, M) – Dean and Castiel meet online, and Dean doesn’t think the soulmate words on his wrist sound much like Cas.
- Sure. by Ozonecologne (2992, T) – Soulmate AU with words appearing as a tattoo.
- Destiny is in Love with Effort by InvictaAnimi (40,817, E) – Grad student Dean and immortal Castiel.
- Collapsed Rainbows by suckerfordeansfreckles (6125, T) – An AU where your soulmates first touch is imprinted on your skin, and Dean’s is a punch to the face. Literally.
- A Soulmate’s Scrawl by mansikka (3102, G) – AU where soulmates can write to each other on their skin.
- Me To Blue by authordean (1191, G) – AU where soulmates are attracted by color.
- The Soul Bird by whichstiel (4997, E) – Soulmates delivered by birds, and Dean and Cas are shipwrecked on an island.
- Scared of Never Feeling by thatpeculiarone (11,782, M) – A soulmate meet cute that doesn’t go quite according to plan.
- The Closest Thing We Have To Magic by EllenofOz and TrenchcoatBaby -(221,231, E) – Dean is a graduate student at a magical college, Cas is a (young) professor. Magic boyfriends.
What’s your favourite soulmate AU? Please let us know, we’d love to hear from you!
Our intro music is “Angel with a Shotgun” by The Cab, arranged by Ellen.