Track 38: Musicians
Welcome to episode thirty-eight of the Mixtape Book Club Podcast.
In this episode, Ellen and Mal welcome author Casloveshisfreckles to discuss fics where Dean or Cas (or both!) are musicians. Fics include Casloveshisfreckles’s Standing Where the Lightning Strikes, Appoggiatura by ceeainthereforthat, Take the Lead by JinxedAmbitions, Tennessee Whiskey by TrenchcoatBaby, and plenty more.
You can find our Mixtape Book Club Ao3 collection here, containing the stories we’ve discussed on the podcast so far.
As always, Mixtape Book Club contains swearing and discussion of adult topics. Please listen at your own discretion, with attention paid to any little ears that might be nearby!
Our Guest – Casloveshisfreckles
Other of Mel’s works mentioned:
If you enjoy our podcast, you can now support us on ko-fi to help us cover our hosting and production costs, either through a one-time donation or a membership basis. Members will have access to our discord server, although we’ll still be hanging out in Profound Bond’s server as well. Check out our ko-fi page for more information: ko-fi.com/mixtapebookclub
Featured fics (timestamps in brackets)
When Sam gets his life together and fucks off to live in a hippy-dippy self-sustainable commune in Costa Rica, Dean never considers following suit. That life isn’t for him. But after years of being away from his brother and withering his own life away at his monotonous, soul-sucking job, Dean finds himself caving to Sammy’s pleas, accepting a job offer he can’t refuse, and boarding a plane to the exotic island.
It’s nothing like Dean could have ever imagined, full of vibrant life and color, foods he’s never heard of, and animals he’s never seen. It’s a tropical paradise… a paradise that becomes a hell of a lot more interesting when a dark haired, blue-eyed commune native catches his eye. After a rather upsetting first meeting with the grumpy stranger, Dean must continue to navigate life on the island, his new career as the school’s music teacher, and the ultimate feat of dislodging his foot from his very big mouth.
With a community of characters as familiar as his brother and as wild as a capuchin monkey with a flair for mischief, Dean will discover that maybe it wasn’t just Sam’s life that needed a reboot.
Still, the question remains; will Dean be able to win over Casa Nova’s most reclusive resident?
Castiel leaves the religious commune of Heaven Farms to study classical piano after winning a full scholarship paid for by the Deanna Campbell Memorial Foundation, and answers an ad in the campus newspaper: 1 bedroom to let. Meals provided. 50mb wifi, quiet odd music student preferred.
Take the Lead by JinxedAmbitions (56:19)
Published for DCBB 2015, 66k words, E
With art by The-Dangerous-Ginger
Castiel is one of the world’s biggest rock stars. Lead singer of The Garrison. He’s living a life of decadence, but he can’t come up with inspiration for their next album, and they’re supposed to be back in the studio in a matter of weeks. It’s no secret that The Garrison’s music is mostly about Castiel’s sex life, and the man experiments in lovemaking as often as he does with the band’s sound. Now, Cas needs a new sexual experience to inspire his music.
Dean Winchester is a Mixed Martial Artist with a reputation for being able to take a hard hit and being able to deliver an even harder one. Having a fight in Vegas is surreal for the Kansas native. Being propositioned by a rock star after the fight is equally surreal. First of all, Castiel is decidedly male with a reputation with the ladies as sordid as Dean’s own. Second, his proposition to be at Dean’s mercy in the bedroom is as ridiculous as it is intriguing.
Tennessee Whiskey by TrenchcoatBaby (01:10:25)
Published 2019, 21k words, E
Dean Winchester is a midwestern farm boy turned country music icon. Castiel Novak is a rising star pushing the boundaries of the genre, his fame reaching new heights. Despite never having met him, Dean hates Castiel completely, and one of those reasons is definitely not because Castiel is the hottest man on the planet. Nope.
Other Musician AUs (1:16:20)
- Dear Dean by thatpeculiarone (31,992, M)
- Syncopation by K_K_tibal (14,900, T) – soulmate, musicial cas
- Make You Feel My Love by caswatchesoveryou (24,371, E) – music festival, art by sternchencas
- Come Sail Away by xxenjoy (17,780, E)
- Medicine by vipjuly (4599, E)
- Impossibly, We’ve Already Caught Fire (Original Track) by holyhael (25,059, E)
- You Gotta Come Home With Me by daydreamdestiel (20,322, E)
- A Song For Four Hands by Winglesss (3261, T)
- Arrested by Love by teacass (Fushigi) (41,415, E)
- Rock You by castielslostwings (26,818, E)
- When I See You Again by noxsoulmate (42,200, M) – DCBB 2016
- Mixtape for My Teenage Crush by followyourenergy (72,092, M)
- Shootin’ You Straight by rockstarpeach (41,304, M)
- not without you by captcas, reafre (15,932, M) – DCB(TV) 2022
- Everybody’s Got A Hungry Heart by PallasPerilous (17,793, T)
- Glory Hallelujah by chaoticdean (54,461, E)
- What Mattered Most by nickelkeep (6084, T)
- What’s Between Us by goldenraeofsun (66,535, E)
- Lock and Key by tricia_16 (144,500, E)
- The Cellist & The Rockstar by Brenna_Fae & DaydreamDestiel (104,164, E)
- The Cupcake Verse by destimushi (24,668, E) – 5 works
- Love Destiel? Join the community of readers and writers at the Profound Bond Discord server. We have a Mixtape Book Club channel there!
- Our RedBubble shop is here. Any profits will go directly to Random Acts.
What’s your favorite musician fic? Please let us know, we’d love to hear from you!
Our intro music is “Angel with a Shotgun” by The Cab, arranged by Ellen.