Track 40: Case Fic
Welcome to episode forty of the Mixtape Book Club Podcast.
In this episode, Ellen and Mal welcome author DoctorProfessorSong and head back into the Supernatural canon verse to discuss case fics. Fics include DoctorProfessorSong’s Can’t Fight the Moonlight, Full Fathom Five Thy Father Lies by Ariasune, everyone knows the year doesn’t start until april by fleeceframe, That Black Dog Ache by SaltyWords, and plenty more.
You can find our Mixtape Book Club Ao3 collection here, containing the stories we’ve discussed on the podcast so far.
As always, Mixtape Book Club contains fic spoilers, swearing and discussion of adult topics. Please listen at your own discretion, with attention paid to any little ears that might be nearby!
Our Guest – DoctorProfessorSong
Other works mentioned:
If you enjoy our podcast, you can now support us on ko-fi to help us cover our hosting and production costs, either through a one-time donation or a membership basis. Members will have access to our discord server, although we’ll still be hanging out in Profound Bond’s server as well. Check out our ko-fi page for more information: ko-fi.com/mixtapebookclub
Featured fics (timestamps in brackets)
It feels like some sort of cosmic joke. A man, his would-be lover/platonicish life partner, and two of his ex-hook-ups walk into a bar. Only Dean is struggling to find the punchline. When Claire’s car breaks down, Dean and Cas interrupt their semi-retired life to meet up with a local hunter in need of back-up. Unfortunately for Dean, they’re meeting up in a dive bar that just happens to be the local haunt of his ex, Rhonda Hurley. Even worse, Cas and Claire neglected to mention the hunter they’re meeting is Annie Hawkins, one time lover to Dean (not to mention Sam and Bobby).
But that’s okay, because Dean figures they’ll get the details of the case and head out. What he doesn’t know is the monster is targeting women, and may be specifically going after women who are into, well, women. So they need Annie AND she needs a girlfriend for this to work. Enter Rhonda Hurley, looking to get out of town and willing to play fake girlfriend for awhile to help her old friend. And it isn’t like Dean can send a civilian and a hunter he had to bury once into a dangerous situation alone. So it looks like they’re all headed on an awkward family vacation.
“Look, Charlie thinks the Men of Letters have something that can help you actually, you know, find this monster.”
“Good,” Dean licks at his thumb to get the last of the chicken salt clean. “Cause right now it seems like we’ve got a monster that’s some 20, 000 leagues under the sea…” He stops. “This isn’t some 20, 000 leagues shit is it?”
“It’s a submarine, actually.” Fuck, that sounds like a yes.
everyone knows the year doesn’t start until april by fleeceframe [00:42:48]
Published in 2023, 21k words, M
Dean had said, “I’m right there with you, I don’t like loud noises either. I mean, being afraid of loud noises is a good thing, though. It’s just your body telling you something big is happening and that you might need to get somewhere safe. Is that what happened on Tuesday when all the lockers went crazy?”
“Did you see anything that seemed weird, or did you make yourself safe in one of the rooms?”
And it struck Castiel then how Dean phrased that. How he didn’t say Did you hide? as in Did you run away? as in Were you not brave enough of a little soldier to stay and figure out just what was trying to hurt you?
He had said- Did you make yourself safe?
or the one where dean and cas are investigating a haunting in an elementary school, things are still new between them, and cas has more love than he knows what to do with
That Black Dog Ache by SaltyWords (agent4hire22, aka winchester-reload) [00:56:11]
Published 2016, 28k, E
A simple case turns Dean upside down as he attempts to deal with the effects of a particularly strange love spell.
Other Case fics (1:07:25)
- Though the Course May Change by imogenbynight (51,581, E) – season 8 divergent, fake-engagement at a couples’ retreat
- any port in a storm by microcomets (52,738, M) – season 9 divergent, case on a couples’ counselling cruise
- A Midsummer Night’s Dean by screamintothesun (16,949, T) – love spell
- The Tunnel of Love by xylodemon (21,421, E) – Haunted carnival ride – also podfic version on Making it Up As We Go podcast!
- With this Ring (I Act the Part) by haus_seeblick (15,583, T) – DCRB 2023, Couples’ therapy retreat
- My Soul Whispers Your Name by Casblackfeathers (15,925, E) – DCRB 2023, art by Diminuel
- i miss that stupid ache by rupertgayes (21,174, M) – season 9 divergence (human Cas)
- The Devil You Know (Who Also Knows You) by SomethingBlue42 (44,505, E) – Detective AU with paranormal
- Pink Panties and a Zorro Mask by Redamber79 (21,824, E) – Another Rhonda Hurley Bang entry, case fic from a SPN convention
- Bite No Bit and Drink No Drop by bexgowen (13,626, T) – season 14 gap-fill
- Flight by NorthernSparrow (319,744, M) – part 2, season 9/10 divergent
- The Thirty-Six Questions That Lead to Love by aeli_kindara (12,940, M) – Case fic with Claire/Kaia
- Nobody Gets Lost in Nebraska by Ripley_LV426 (37,096, E) – Post-s5
- Music Speaks by ajwhite9150 (43,729, M) – post-canon witch’s curse
- Stories Are Made of Mistakes by wildhoneypie (4,924, T) – Misunderstandings after a hunt
- The Natural Pools of Garachico Caletón by DeanRH (20,050, E) – Ocean-related case in Tenerife
- Under My Skin by whichstiel (39,596, E) – DCTropefest 2023, Witches in the Ozarks
- We’re Butter Off Together by whichstiel (27,207, E) – DCTropefest 2022, divergent from “The End”
- careful by PurpleSkwid (4,399, T) – Fluff after a hunt
- Undercover Angel series by EllenofOz (44,716, E) – Panties on Cas? Sure
- Giant, Anguish, Danger by MalMuses (73,413, E) – MBB 2019, Divergent from s9
- Love Destiel? Join the community of readers and writers at the Profound Bond Discord server. We have a Mixtape Book Club channel there!
- Our RedBubble shop is here. Any profits will go directly to Random Acts.
What’s your favorite case fic? Please let us know, we’d love to hear from you!
Our intro music is “Angel with a Shotgun” by The Cab, arranged by Ellen.